Definitely one of the more healthier “binges” one could embrace. Travelling is wonderful but it causes serious disruption to my TV schedule. It’s important for me to keep across all TV not just because I want to, but because I work in TV (at least that’s my justification).
The definition of binge watching by Wiki is as follows;
Binge-watching, also called binge-viewing or marathon-viewing, is the practice of watching television for longer time spans than usual, usually of a single television show. In a survey conducted by Netflix in February 2014, 73% of people define binge-watching as “watching between 2-6 episodes of the same TV show in one sitting.” Binge-watching as an observed cultural phenomenon has become popular with the rise of online media services such as Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime with which the viewer can watch television shows and movies on-demand.
It also really has it’s place for those who are jet lagged. The only issue here is that you may have to be more discerning about what you watch depending on concentration levels.
For example – Yesterday I attempted to binge on True Detective when I was more alert and progressed into Suits when I was flailing. Clearly True Detective requires more focus than Suits…
I think there are many pros for binge watching ( of course I do!)
- Momentum of story/plot is great as it is uninterrupted. Game of Thrones is probably best watched like this since you can achieve some sense of continuity about just exactly where in Westeros you are!
- It can be time efficient…it is a welcomed activity for those of us who are busy we can get it all over and done with rather than spread it out freeing up weeknights for other activities
- You can become up to date and relevant again during work conversations
- There can be a great sense of achievement completing a series/season
- Let’s face it – everybody does it – isn’t that what Netflix and all these platforms tap into?
Maybe the most important part is that I am now ready for tonight’s episode of True Detective and back on my TV schedule.
All is right with the world again.